Minutes 1 May 2014

 

KILLINGTON SAILING ASSOCIATION – MINUTES

COMMITTEE MEETING 1st May 2014

present – Geoff, Ian, Geraldine, Tony, Myles, Tess and Nick Pikes, martin , sue Brighouse, Paul

Aplogies  - Lydia, Chris, Andrew

next meeting – brief meeting prior to Bonfire 10am June 22nd  then Sept Thurs 25th at Bendrigg

 

ACTIONS

 

Martin to read lease

Ian to contact Sea Cadets re boat on jetty - now done

                to organise conflagration on June 22nd

                to contact any derelict boat owners and inform them of intention to dispose of hulls

Pete Lawson to arrange safety boat training

Paul to investigate winch options

                Grants and quotes for jetty repairs

                Neighbourhood forum funding source

ID grant that might support purchase of the windsurfing kit

Nick Pike – Contact RYA regional coordinator for advice and possible loan of kit for taster day/s

ID space for storage of kit

Kit spec list and prices to be prepared

Taster days – who to coordinate and organise? Nick’s brother to be approached. 

Qu’aire to be devised and forwarded to Ian to circulate to membership 

Previous minutes – accepted nem con

 

Arising – Martin still not read lease  - needs doing quite urgently

 

Sea Cadets boat at jetty – Ian to contact soonest - now done

Safety boat training – not yet arranged- Important that this is arranged soon

Work day – thanks to attendees – more people would have been welcome

 

Winch – Paul still to take action

Bonfire – now arranged for June 22nd – Ian to organise conflagration

Membership update

85 at present – so far £10910 and hope for further £1275 due to those not yet renewed

Enquiry received from Air Cadets at Windermere

Queen Katherine unlikely to renew due to AALA complications

Ian enquired of sanctions for non joiners ie at what date can we charge a joining fee again? – agreed that it would not be till 12 months has elapsed.

Grant update

Paul has not yet fully investigated possible grant support for jetty renewals.   Will be getting Jess’s Moorings down to quote. 

Active Cumbria £75 received for Bart’s Bash event in September

Suggestion made to investigate Neighbourhood forums up to £1000  Paul to investigate

Wind farm update

Planning permission refused but resubmitted – believed to have been “called in” – no real news!

Safety boat –

Ian concerned  when found engine cover left on the boat – Notice reminding users to replace with police cover after use.  Marks on floor – Myles to investigate solvents – Acetone has had partial success and will try more.

Derelict boats

Bonfire on June 22nd for wooden boats.  Ian to contact any owners of other boats and warn them that if not paid for, then will be moved and disposed of.  eBay was suggested as a possible disposal method.

Windsurfing development

Project Windsurg – some IT logistic complications due to admin rights being assigned to wrong club

KSA kit all quite old (fashioned) with exception of one new board – Technology  rapidly advancing.  Use of RYA 7 common senses would suggest that the club kit is not seaworthy except the one new board.  IF KSA wants to develop it, then needs to buy new kit.  Chicken and egg issue of getting enthusiasm started vs providing new kit.  Suggestion that taster day should be run esp if someone would be willing to bring kit along.  Kielder quoted as getting a grant of £10K from Lottery to purchase rigs and boards.  Pricing of kit – junior board and rig @£500 but would need to get further kit for more advanced and adult boards.  eBay seen as possible source.

Storage of kit was another problem – suggestions of containers/lorry bodies were discussed but felt that another cage as per Canoe club would be preferable.

Team 15 membership by KSA would be an aspiration.  Nick to contact RYA Regional coordinator to get more advice and find out if RYA have a trailer of kit available for taster days.

Regular windsurfing club evening seen as a good idea

Lakes Canoe club to be contacted – if interest in their youth group

Actions – Contact RYA regional coordinator for advice and possible loan of kit for taster day/s

ID space for storage of kit

Kit spec list and prices to be prepared

ID grant that might support purchase of the kit

Taster days – who to coordinate and organise? Nick’s brother to be approached. 

Qu’aire to be devised and forwarded to Ian to circulate to membership

Events

31st May – Family day – help offered by several people – many thanks

 

                discussion about regular Saturday for youths – regular commitment would be needed – one coordinator would be needed to drive it on.  Issues of CRB/DBS of volunteers, membership of club.  Would be “free” to avoid issues of liability etc.  Parent or adult would have to be present throughout for each youth present

June 14/15th – large number of youths present on Sat pm and then all day Sunday for Topper/Pico regatta – Myles in charge of event.

21st Sept – Bart’s Bash- mainly a youth group relay at present but club welcome to put a team in.

 

                http://www.communitygames.org.uk/Games/active-cumbria/barts-bash-sailing-race

AOB

 

Is there more space available for canoes? pp Mike Sunderland

Would canoeists be welcome on Family day? Yes – Canoeing “helpers” enquired of but none forthcoming

Cat a Canoe is available to all members

Racks in Clubhouse – confusion over who had said what about designing and then separately constructing the racks for Oppy et al storage. Next meeting agenda

NEXT MEETING JUNE 22ND AT 10AM PRIOR TO BONFIRE

 

AND THEN THURS 25TH SEPT

 

 

Login