Minutes 18th September 2017

NEXT MEETING – 2nd November 2017 7.30 at Bendrigg – refurbishment proposals

AGM – 1st Feb

KSA COMMITTEE MEETING Monday 18th September 2017

 

Present – Geoff, Myles, Peter M, Tony, Chris Bell, Martin, 

Apologies –Pete, Andrew, Ian, and Geraldine

 

 

ACTIONS

From last time - Myles to check over the Oppies and reduce to 2 – discard remainder   

To investigate alternative electronic calendar – ONGOING

size of plaque to be discussed between Peter and Andrew

Is it possible to approach Joe to ask if field might be available? Geoff to enquire.

Corners of new jetty – Tony to investigate use of bow fenders to cushion the corners. 

Unknown whether this is claimable from Insurance company – Geoff to contact Andrew to enquire.

Geoff to discuss with Andrew and then circulate refurbishment proposals in advance of next meeting on 2nd Nov

PROJECT APPROVED… Ian to progress it

Ian to be requested to include a reminder notice about “abandoned boats” and the club’s right to dispose of them!

 

Previous minutes  - agreed in their final format

Matters Arising – not on agenda

While the public offer of temporary membership has been discontinued – ad hoc arrangements may still be made on a case by case basis – Geoff cited a scout group he normally facilitated.

Plaque for new jetty – Boulder to right of ramp onto jetty approved for the siting – size of plaque to be discussed between Peter and Andrew

Ian to be requested to remind Peter re the booking calendar that was being investigated.

Noted that AGM agenda needs to include a motion to amend the constitution to include new wording of group rules  namely ““ Group members are not entitled to use the facilities individually.  But if operating as a group, they have the same access to all club facilities as full members, but only when operating as a group.”

                There are still concerns about what a group “is” and what they are entitled to.  No doubt further discussion will ensue.

MEMBERSHIP UPDATE

Membership is strong – since the AGM 4 members have decided not to renew but we have had 7 new members.  There are also 3 members who have asked to have a year off who, presently, plan to re-join next year.  There is one member who has not renewed and I have been unable to contact.  Membership receipts total £13,820.

 

Since Peter has taken on the Dinghy Park stewardship, I am pleased to say we are now ‘on top’ of the situation.  We still have around 7 berths available but they are not in ideal positions.  There continues to be a problem with, particularly Group members, craft left in the wrong berth or in the car park area.

Mention was made since this report was submitted of 2 more groups – Cedar House and Underley and 2 people investigating joining.

DINGHY PARK

Since Peter has taken on the Dinghy Park stewardship, I am pleased to say we are now ‘on top’ of the situation.  We still have around 7 berths available but they are not in ideal positions.  There continues to be a problem with, particularly Group members, craft left in the wrong berth or in the car park area.

Peter added there was still too frequent use of car park for temporary parking of trailers (and mentioned one particular road trailer on grass adjacent to car park, chained to fence). Acknowledged that road trailers in car park facilitates removal of dinghies.  Was suggested that it should be stickered to alert owner.

Changes to berths on lower side of island to convert it to herring bone orientated berths to facilitate parking. Has lost a little bit of space as possibly berths were set up for narrower dinghies, but much more convenient to berth owners.  Work day to include renumbering and marking berths plus staking.  Is it possible to approach Joe to ask if field might be available? Geoff to enquire.

Peter was thanked by the committee for all his hard work on the dinghy park.

SITE WORK

Site had been inspected today with Chris. 

Suggested more non slip strips on wooden jetty

Chris and Peter thanked for all their hard work on the cementing of new slipway.  Big thanks to all volunteers from membership who helped with this and the ongoing door repairs. 

Corners of new jetty – Tony to investigate use of bow fenders to cushion the corners. 

Extra stone delivered and installed at base of new slipway – use of rounded stone.  Offending boulders on foreshore removed – Peter commended for his use of the winch !

Doors – lots of work on this done – still one more job to complete the task

Plumbing – rodent damage had caused leak and subsequent water ingress to lights etc in changing rooms – out of bounds pro tem.  (since the meeting, repair carried out, rodenticide installed.  Estimate awaited for replacement of plastic piping by copper piping).  Unknown whether this is claimable from Insurance company – Geoff to contact Andrew to enquire. Discussion of whether second shower needed in each changing room – should we just have the electric ones, since it takes so long to draw down hot water OR should we resite showers on inner wall plus resite hot water tank closer to showers to reduce hot water arrival time. Decisions not yet made – enquiries to be made.

GREEN AUDIT

Andrew had had a Green audit done by Katie Lucas (Green Architect).  Geoff has an electronic copy of her report which he will discuss with Andrew and draw up a list of priorities scaled in respect of cost et al.  Heating, showers, roller doors et al.  Suggested that we have another meeting purely to discuss this – committee to be circulated with proposals in advance.  2nd November 2017 7.30 at Bendrigg

B4RN – Broadband supply

Geoff explained that cost would be reduced if we can justify treating KSA as an educational establishment. He was mandated to continue to explore this.

MET STATION

Action plan for the project to move the Weather Station to a better position below.  So far we have had a positive response from David Brown (Canal and River Trust) and I have had a meeting with Ben Armitage at the dam – he will be advising David that he is happy with our plan.

It is difficult to pin Peter (ITNET) down to a specific budget but he has confirmed that the ‘ITNET’ responsibilities will not cost more than £180 (+VAT). 

Peter (Melling) has provided a cost for the aluminium mast at £21.02 (+VAT).

  • Remove station/mast from clubhouse roof                                           KSA
  • Supply outdoor antenna                                                                                               ITNET
  • Fit new antenna                                                                                                                               ITNET
  • Test new setup at the lake                                                                                           ITNET/KSA
  • Drill through office wall                                                                                 ITNET/KSA
  • Fix new outdoor antenna                                                                                             ITNET
  • Supply Aluminium aerial mast                                                                    KSA
  • Fit station to mast and mount on dam wall                                           KSA

PROJECT APPROVED… Ian to progress it

 

CRAFT BOOKING SYSTEM

Myles reported that it was working but that access by all was tricky so most people were emailing him to put their bookings on the system.  Ian requested to renew enquiry of Peter to develop a better system. 

 

EVENTS

In reverse order

Wed series – still keeping going just – 3-6 on average

Tues evenings – no interest this autumn but good during summer trm

Barts Bash – 7 picos competed from Lytham SCC  - no club member interest.

24 hour race – KSA did well coming 23rd in the end – had been as high as 14th at one point – unfortunate protest outcome.   8th Enterprise in the race.

                Sedbergh also at the race – lower placing! But won Yorkshire trophy and flight tankard

Push the Boat Out – good attendance – worth doing – 2018 will be over a whole month so we need to decide on a good date ? at the AGM. Thanks to all the volunteers who assisted

Laser Open – good turnout – many thanks to all the volunteers who catered, rescued, trolley dollied etc.

 

AGM Agenda

Constitution change needs to be approved.

Club house and site improvements update/proposals

Pre-AGM meeting needs to be 30 mins earlier – 7pm prior to AGM at 8pm

 

MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL LETTERS

Ian to be requested to include a reminder notice about “abandoned boats” and the club’s right to dispose of them!

 

 

 

 

 

NEXT MEETING – Monday November 2nd at 7.30 at Bendrigg

          Agenda of club / site refurbishment proposals

AGM on Thursday 1st Feb 8pm – (pre meeting at 7pm)

Login