KILLINGTON SAILING ASSOCIATION

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

7th FEBRUARY 200

NEXT AGM    THURSDAY 5TH FEBRUARY 2009 – 8.00 PM

 

Present -  All committee minus Chris Bell, Dave Barker, Tony Longworth, Jeff Clegg(Sedbergh canoe club), Paul Latham, Andy Sayer, Rosemary Paul, Geoff Cook (Blackwell Sailing)

 

ACTIONS –

Shaw to investigate price of Club Laser

Myles to purchase replacement mast and centerboard for pico

Pete to expedite centerboard replacement for Ent

Pete to investigate RIB control cable repair (and inform Myles if Derek unavailable)

Pete to purchase and deliver RIB Trolley

 

1/ Apologies: Chris Bell,

 

Geoff Pardoe opened the meeting by thanking those who were present in such numbers

 

2/ Last year’s minutes were approved and signed

           

3/ Matters arising

The land had not been able to be purchased from the farmer since it was his best grazing land.  Moreover access since it was on a bend would be difficult

 

4/ Chairman’s report – as circulated in AGM notice – welcomed and approved

The fact that thefts had been low was queried in the light of the significant theft of canoe equipment.  There had been some other minor thefts but compared to some clubs this was indeed very low.

 

5/ Treasurer’s report – Andrew took us through the circulated accounts

 

Year 2007

      Year 2006

      Year 2005

Income

 

 

 

Subscriptions & Misc. income

18,990.43

15,123.79

16,193.10

Interest

4.47

15.90

25.20

Grants (£5k Lottery + £1,200 Twiname trust)

0.00

0.00

6,200.00

Total Income

18,994.90

15,139.69

22,418.30

 

 

 

 

Expenditure

 

 

 

BWB land rental

542.84

532.27

500.56

BWB sailing rights

2,443.28

2,448.84

2,253.04

Rates

88.80

86.60

80.38

 KSA Insurance*

1,162.35

1,134.00

1,275.75

add Insurance for boats

463.29

407.34

477.40

RYA subs

84.00

0.00

80.00

Electricity

1,351.86

1,009.48

756.04

Phone

192.17

193.40

193.40

Cleaning

1,683.81

690.64

625.37

Cess pit emptying

532.25

620.00

320.00

Site works

348.44

295.32

2,933.26

Building works/expenses/maintenance

0.00

623.86

889.00

FTS Fire & Security

1,263.62

1,329.23

1,361.98

 Identity Stickers and Sundries

185.65

225.60

289.05

 Racing costs / Misc. purchases

250.78

180.00

451.29

Stationery / printing / postage / internet etc.

115.59

0.00

 

Royal Mail PO Box

0.00

0.00

53.00

Boat purchase and maintenance

976.54

2,409.90

7,520.10

 

 

 

 

Total expenditure

11,685.27

12,186.48

20,059.62

 

 

 

 

Net income / (expenditure) for the period

7,309.63

2,953.21

2,358.68

add Balance brought forward

7,692.81

4,739.60

2,380.92

less investment in 3 month High Interest Bond

8,000.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

Represented by Cash at Bank at 31 December

7,002.44

7,692.81

4,739.60

 

 

 

 

Investment account / depreciation reserve

 

 

 

Opening balance

8,000.00

 

 

Interest

264.47

 

 

Closing balance

8,264.47

 

 

Proposed addition to reserves

3,000.00

 

 

 

 

 

 

  Prepared by Andrew King (Hon Treasurer) 30 Jan 2008

 

 

 

 

There was a buoyant income despite no fee increase for several years.  Expected that situation to slowly decrease until it became necessary in some years time to raise fees.  Electricity costs had risen in part due to global price increase but partly due to extra use of clubhouse.  Cleaning costs had risen due to employment of professional cleaners to deal with the floor.  There appears to be a lot of money in the bank but at any time there may be a big call for “capital” costs eg new RIB, major expenditure on clubhouse etc. He had transferred more funds into the reserve account for this eventuality.  He proposed to keep fees at the same level.

Paul Holdsworth enquired as to whether we should shift the fees so that membership was lower but berths were higher to act as a lever to shift abandoned boats.  Jeff Clegg wondered if a (eg 150 pounds) deposit on a berth might be a valuable lever.  Some members objected to the club having the use of their money for years on end.

 

6/ Membership report

Currently we have 126 members of who 15 have so far renewed their membership for 2008-9.

 

Breakdown as follows

 

          12 are ‘group’ members

          66 have a dinghy

          27 have a windsurfer

          9   have a canoe

          29 have no craft of their own

 

There are new-style membership cards this year.

In passing Ian asked for approval for a 31st Aug Miracle open and solicited assistance.

 

7/ Dinghy Racing report

Pete Lawson started by commenting on the healthy state of Wed evening racing with a return to more Lasers being involved.  3 series had been completed though it was not announced who had won each series.

The Sunday winter series had been relatively quiet partly due to the non advertising of the event.  Three members present had turned up on the first w/e to find nobody else present. They had each claimed a 1st prize for their role as race committee!  Next year it was agreed that there should be more publicity.  Ian commented that nobody had sent him any results for posting for which Martin accepted partial responsibility.

Three Open meetings had been held with good wind for the Ents and Miracles but almost zero for the 3000’s.

The club had taken part in the 24 hour race and it was agreed to enter again this year.

21st September was proposed for a Ent open.

Space can be an issue for visitors – Fishermen were generous in allowing us to use car parking space, but boat space was an issue.  This concurs with the general problem with berths which sees some boats using car park space.

Shaw suggested buying a club laser so that Wednesday evening aspirants could take part.  He was delegated to investigate cost.

Andrew enquired of club boat use –Ent was used for 24 hour race and by one group in particular.  Pico and Oppies were used (recent immersion of Pico had seen loss of mast/foils and Myles was delegated to obtain replacements [since meeting rudder/tiller and lower mast had been recovered. It is expected that at low water the other items may be recovered]

 

8/ Group Reports

Sedbergh Canoe Club very popular but no formal report presented.

 

9/ Elections to committee

All current members were re-elected nem. Con. 

Paul Latham volunteered to join the committee and was accepted

 

10/ AOB

 

Meeting closed at 20.50

 

back